The Optical Sales Engineer is responsible for supporting sales teams with product positioning, evaluating customer project requirements, designing relevant network architecture, performing product demonstrations, and winning the confidence of customer prospects. The Optical Sales Engineer is expected to have intermediate level knowledge in optical products and design and basic knowledge of L2/L3 packet network services. This role will provide both remote and onsite support of sales engagements.
Required responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with a team in the planning, design, and operation of customer packet networks
- Work with sales teams to design and develop winning and profitable solutions
- Validate customer requests and requirements for network hardware, software, and functionality
- Participate in sales discussions over audio/web conference or in live meetings
- Lead and coordinate small to medium scale network design projects
- Perform demonstrations or POC’s over web conference or live meetings
- Win the confidence of colleagues and client prospects as an expert technical resource
- Assist sales in pricing, proposing, and SOW creation
- Interface with other departments regarding product development and implementation
- Provide timely project updates to internal engineering and project managers
- Communicate with vendors as may be required for installation, configuration, technical support, and purchasing issues
- Provide product, systems, and technical training to new and existing employees on an as needed basis
- Conduct ongoing technology assessments, research new network related products and features, and develop cost effective recommendations and plans for optimizing the deployment process
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Intermediate level knowledge of Optical Fiber Principles: Knowledge of the fundamental principles of optical fiber transmission, including modes, attenuation, dispersion, and signal integrity
- Intermediate level knowledge of Optical Network Design
- System Architecture: Ability to design and architect optical communication systems, considering factors such as network topology, bandwidth requirements, and scalability
- Link Budget Analysis: Capability to perform link budget analysis to optimize signal strength and ensure reliable communication over optical links
- Intermediate level knowledge of Optical Components
- Familiarity with optical components such as lasers, photodetectors, modulators, and wavelength division multiplexers (WDM)
- Component Selection and Integration: Ability to select appropriate optical components and integrate them into the network design
- Intermediate level knowledge of Layer 1 Network Protocols and Standards
- Understanding of Optical Networking Protocols: Knowledge of protocols specific to optical networks, such as SONET/SDH, DWDM, and ROADM
- Compliance with Standards: Ensure adherence to industry standards and specifications related to optical communication
- Optical Testing Equipment: Proficiency in using optical testing equipment, including optical time-domain reflectometers (OTDRs) and optical power meters
- Troubleshooting Skills: Ability to identify and resolve issues in optical networks, including troubleshooting signal loss, dispersion, and other optical impairments.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to accurately follow documented procedures
- Aptitude to learn new technologies as they are incorporated into the system
This position has no supervisory responsibilities but does coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This position operates from a remote office. Applicant must have access to broadband internet and an appropriate working area to conduct the job functions noted above. Travel for sales support and customer presentations will be required on an as needed basis.
There are no persistent physical demands for this position. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift ~50 lbs. for the installation, racking, and/or mounting of vendor equipment for lab or POC work.
A moderate amount of travel within the continental US is expected for this position to support relevant sales engagements.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, telecommunications, or computer sciences from a four-year college or university, or one-to-two years of related experience and training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This position expects intermediate level knowledge of packet networks and design
- Read, analyze, and interpret business, professional, and technical documents.
- Clearly write technical proposals, procedure manuals, testing plans, and other business correspondence.
- Effectively present technical information and respond directly to questions.
Certificates and Licenses
Certifications from a leading optical vendor (Ciena, Nokia, Infinera, etc) is preferred but not required.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Satisfactory results of drug screen and background check
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary Range: $75k – $100k
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
LightRiver Technologies provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org