The Network Field technician will work under the direction of engineering staff & management to install and turn-up networks in LightRiver’s Network Factory and the Field on customer premises. Key responsibilities include installing DWDM and MPLS networks to Telcordia GR-1275 standard (Telco Central Office), network provisioning, as-built documentation, and interfacing with customers’ engineering staff on site.
- Perform site surveys and fiber optic characterization
- Expertise in deploying optical networks for mission-critical applications, including DWDM, Carrier Ethernet, and IP/MPLS.
- Travel extensively to deploy, troubleshoot, and performance test optical networks
- Analyze complex problems and derive the best course of action, then effectively present solutions internally and externally
- Adapt to changes in project scope and responsibility quickly and easily
- Work efficiently, productively, and self-manage
- Extensive experience installing networks to the highest quality standards.
- Microsoft Office 365 Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook, and Visio (engineering graphing tool).
- Ability to understand edit technical documents
- Detail-oriented – projects often contain dozens of critical items that need to be cross-referenced & validated. Thoroughness and attention to detail is a critical job function
- Aptitude for understanding the critical elements that go into the installation, testing, and documentation of a “five nines” reliable optical network and managing individual work to these critical reliability standards.
- Capability to effectively learn and apply new and evolving networking technologies through on-the-job training, industry classes, and industry certifications
- Desire to work in a team environment. Train and mentor Associate Field Technicians.
75% of the will be spent performing field installation with nationwide travel to customer locations, including data centers, internet exchanges, telco central offices, remote DWDM amplifier sites, and utility substations. Remote office environment a minority of the time to review methods of procedures and engineering design packages in advance of deployments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to readily travel to sites within major metropolitan areas and very remote sites for customer meetings and network deployments. This requires traveling for long durations, sometimes up to 12 hours within a single day. The employee may need to lift and move up to 50 pounds during the deployment of fully pre-configured systems and on rare occasions, lift and move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus as the job requires the reading and editing of engineering documentation, the troubleshooting of fiber optic connections, and the extensive use of fiber optic test equipment including 400X scopes, Optical Time Domain Reflectometers, (OTDRs), optical power meters, visual fault locators, and Y.1564 service activation testers.
This is not an entry level position. At least 4 years of experience in deploying data networks within a data center environment or a central office environment is required. Complete proficiency in utilizing test equipment including OTDRs and network testers such as the TBERD 5800 is essential.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. There will be other duties and responsibilities that further the growth of LightRiver in terms of technical competence, process, or competitiveness. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary Range: $65K -$85K
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com