The Linux Infrastructure Engineer will provide design engineering and installation support for customer projects starting from the proposal phase through the entire project implementation. The Linux Infrastructure Engineer will provide onsite and remote support of server and network systems. The employee will work in the field, performing network level installation, turn-up, testing, and commissioning. The engineer will maintain regular contact with a variety of LightRiver customers, providing on-demand technical/engineering support.
Required responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Take the lead role in the planning, design, and operation of customer Linux infrastructure.
- Install and implement various Linux Operating Systems including RedHat, CentOS, and Ubuntu
- Install and configure Linux operating systems on bare metal server and server blade hardware including Dell, HP, and Lenovo servers
- Engineer and install vendor provided software applications on Linux platforms
- Lead and coordinate small to medium scale projects.
- Perform Tier 2/3 support functions for customer Linux infrastructure issues
- Provide timely project updates to internal engineering and project managers
- Communicate with vendors as may be required for installation, configuration, technical support, and purchasing issues.
- Conduct ongoing technology assessments, research new Infrastructure related products and features, and develop cost effective recommendations and plans for optimizing the deployment process
Preferred Job Functions
- Build, manage, and troubleshoot virtualized server environments including VMWare, Linux KVM, and Openstack
- Install, configure, and manage SAN hardware including EMC, EqualLogic, and Blade Storage
- Minimum of 3 years Linux experience
- Solid experience in building, configuring, and administering Dell, HP, and SuperMicro servers
- Hypervisor knowledge including VMWare, Linux KVM, and RedHat
- Working knowledge of Local Area Networks including “top of the rack” switching and routing
- Fair knowledge of Windows Server 2016+, Windows 10+
- Familiarity with enterprise security systems and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to accurately follow documented procedures.
- Aptitude to learn new technologies as they are incorporated into the system.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities but does coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, video conferencing, and local / cloud software applications. Sometimes will work in the lab following basic training modules utilizing basic hand tools and testing equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. The ability to lift at least 50 lbs. is required for the installation, racking, and/or mounting of equipment.
A moderate amount of travel within the continental US is expected for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, telecommunications, or computer sciences from a four-year college or university, or one-to-two years of related experience and training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise / training on the design programs, management system, and troubleshooting tools for at least one Linux product line.
- Read, analyze, and interpret business, professional, and technical documents.
- Clearly write technical proposals, procedure manuals, testing plans, and other business correspondence.
- Effectively present technical information, and respond directly to questions.
Certificates and Licenses:
- At least one advanced certification such as VMWare VCP, RedHat RHCSA, Microsft MCP/MCTP, or equivelent
- Valid Driver’s License
- Satisfactory results of drug screen and background check
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary Range: $65k-$85k
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
LightRiver Technologies provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com