Layer 2 Carrier Ethernet:
In today’s world, there is an absolute need for converged, multi-service, mission-critical networking, which includes the need to support TDM, packet and photonic services in the same platform, especially useful in:
- Mobile Xhaul (fronthaul/midhaul/backhaul)
- Business Ethernet
- Broadband and
- various packet-optimized transport network applications.
Packet optical transport covers technologies and architectures that enable multilayer convergence for the transport of IP packets on both fixed and mobile optical networks. Converged products include the functional switching capability of WDM wavelengths, Ethernet switching via various protocols, as well as TDM, to accelerate service delivery. The technologies include a combination of optical networking products that operate separately or within a single converged platform called Packet Optical Transport System (POT-S) such as ROADMs, TDM, and Carrier Ethernet switching products. These platforms reside in the metro edge, metro core and the long-haul networks of major service providers today.
Packet Optical Transport Systems encourage next generation IP networking by providing a universal aggregation and transport infrastructure that underlies all current and future Ethernet and IP services. POT-S are enabling service providers and mission critical optical network operators to offer unprecedented TDM-equivalent Ethernet services and the fastest, most efficient, cost-effective, and forward-looking infrastructure for critical services, wholesale and residential broadband, mobile backhaul, data center interconnect and enterprise services delivery.
Figure 1: Modified OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) Model
LightRiver’s evolved portfolio of multi-vendor, carrier-grade, Packet Optical products, features the industry’s most widely deployed 100G+ solutions, using the leading Tier 1 technologies, to allow you to accelerate your service delivery without compromising efficiency or fit, while future-proofing for inevitable bandwidth growth. In combination with the best in class, integrated, packet routing and switching, you can support your growing packet-based business services.
This technology is a logical evolution of discrete ROADM and MSPP based networking that delivers large-scale deterministic Ethernet aggregation. Packet Optical Networking integrates Carrier Ethernet and SONET aggregation with ROADM-based or DCI WDM transport to deliver unprecedented infrastructure networking efficiency, eliminating unnecessary network elements and total cost.
Packet Optical Transport (POT) delivers the benefits of convergence to mission-critical networks. POT puts any combination layers 0/1 (optical, WDM), 2 (SONET/TDM, OTN, Ethernet) and 3 (IP, MPLS) into one box.
- WDM, including cutting-edge ROADM or compact modular technologies
- Ethernet and MPLS switching support with the latest connection-oriented features
- Next Generation ZR and PAM4 pluggable solutions
- Reliable SONET support of legacy services
- Cross-Connect between technologies to transparently support TDM to Packet migration
Why Packet Optical?
- Reduced Complexity – multiple functions in one chassis reduces operational, port, power and space expenses
- Higher Density Operations – lower power, smaller space advantages
- Speed – Blade-based architecture enables layers 1, 2 and 3 services to be quickly added in one box Technology Integration – a single OAM&P for end-to-end services
- TDM to Packet Migration – cross-connect fabric enables a transparent evolution
- Increased Reliability – consolidated functions eliminate points-off failure, such as jumpers, and simplifies protection
- Application Optimization – latency, jigger and timing advantages
- SDN Enablement – a more programmable, integrated solution